You are here: Home >> Current Affairs >> Current Affairs Quiz >> August 2016
1) Name the Chairperson of Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist (CPN-MC) who on 4 August 2016 was elected the 39th Prime Minister of Nepal?
A) Khadga Prasad Oli
B) Pushpa Kamal Dahal 'Prachanda'
C) Sushil Koirala
D) Khil Raj Regmi
2) The International Olympic Committee (IOC) on 3 August 2016 agreed to add five new sports to the programme for 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Name the sports?
A) Baseball/Softball, Golf, Skateboard, Squash and cricket
B) Ice Hockey, Karate, Skateboard, cricket and surfing
C) Sumo wrestling, Karate, Skateboard, Para jumping and kabaddi
D) Baseball/Softball, Karate, Skateboard, Climbing Sports and surfing
3) In which country Rio Olympic 2016 was being held?
C) United States
4) Name the American swimmer who on 9 August 2016 won his 21st Olympic gold medal in the 4x200 m freestyle relay?
A) Ryan Lochte
B) Michael Phelps
C) Kyle Chalmers
D) Sun Yang
5) Who on 11 August 2016 won his fourth consecutive 200m individual medley Olympic title?
(With this, he became the first swimmer ever to win four consecutive golds in the same event.)
A) Mack Horton
B) Gregorio Paltrinieri
C) Michael Phelps
D) Ryan Murphy
6) Name the Pakistani cricketer, also known as the Little Master, who died recently in Karachi at the age of 81?
A) Zaheer Abbas
B) Mushtaq Mohammad
C) Imtiaz Ahmed
D) Hanif Mohammad
7) The World Bio-Fuel Day was observed across the world on?
(The day is observed every year with an aim to create awareness about non fossil-fuels (Green Fuels).)
A) 4 August 2016
B) 10 August 2016
C) 18 August 2016
D) 22 August 2016
8) International Youth Day was celebrated across the world on?
(The theme of the 2016 International Youth Day is - The Road to 2030: Eradicating Poverty and Achieving Sustainable Consumption and Production.)
A) 2 August 2016
B) 12 August 2016
C) 19 August 2016
D) 26 August 2016
9) Which country on 16 August 2016 launched the world's first quantum satellite named Quantum Experiments at Space Scaler (QUESS) satellite?
(It is designed to establish hack-proof quantum communications by transmitting uncrackable keys from space to the ground.)
B) United States
10) Name the former President of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) who passed away at the age of 100 on 16 August 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?
A) Sepp Blatter
B) Joao Havelange
C) Stanley Rous
D) Arthur Drewry
11) Which body on 3 August 2016 cleared wrestler Narsingh Yadav's name for participation in the 2016 Rio Olympics?
(He will be participating in the 74kg weight category of the sport.)
A) Sports Authority of India (SAI)
B) United World Wrestling (UWW)
C) National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA)
D) World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)
12) Which singer will be awarded 23rd Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award on 20 August 2016 for her outstanding contribution towards the promotion of communal harmony, peace and goodwill?
A) Shubha Mudgal
B) S Janaki
C) Mahalakshmi Iyer
D) Preeti Sagar
13) Which High Court on 4 August 2016 held that Lt. Governor is the administrative head of the National Capital Territory dismissing AAP Government's plea challenging the Union Government's 21 May 2015 notification giving absolute powers to LG in appointing bureaucrats in the national capital?
A) Chennai High Court
B) West Bengal High Court
C) Delhi High Court
D) Mumbai High Court
14) Name the noted sports promoter and founder chairperson of Reliance Foundation who was elected as an individual member of International Olympic Committee (IOC) on 4 August 2016?
(With this, she also becomes the first Indian woman to join the prestigious body which governs Olympic sports in the world.)
A) Rita Ambani
B) Isha Ambani
C) Tina Ambani
D) Nita Ambani
15) The 2nd National Handloom Day was celebrated all over the country on?
(It was on this day in 1905 that the Swadeshi Movement was formally launched, at a massive meeting in the Calcutta Town hall. The movement involved revival of domestic products and production processes. The GoI has declared this day as National Handloom Day every year, in memory of this.)
A) 7th August 2016
B) 12th August 2016
C) 20th August 2016
D) 24th August 2016
16) Name the newly elected leader of Gujarat BJP who was sworn in as the 16th Chief Minister of Gujarat on 7 August 2016?
(He succeeded Anandiben Patel.)
A) Amit Shah
B) Vijay Rupani
C) Hasmukhbhai S. Patel
D) Dr. Anilbhai Joshiyara
17) Name the Indian female Gymnast who created history by becoming the first Indian gymnast to qualify for the apparatus finals of artistic Gymnastics at the Rio 2016 Olympics?
A) Sakshi Malik
B) Sarjubala Devi
C) Dipa Karmakar
D) Jwala Gutta
18) Who recently said that the Lodha Committee recommendation on BCCI reforms are unconstitutional and illegal?
A) Justice Markandey Katju
B) Justice T S Thakur
C) Justice Anil R Dave
D) Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar
19) The RBI in its third bi-monthly monetary policy review for year 2016-17 has maintained status quo in key policy interest rate.
1. What is the current Repo rate?,
2. What is the current Reverse Repo rate?,
3. What is the current Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) of scheduled banks?,
4. What is the current Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR)?
A) 1. 6.0 percent, 2. 6.5 percent, 3. 4.0 percent, 4. 20.50 percent
B) 1. 6.50 percent, 2. 6.5 percent, 3. 4.0 percent, 4. 21.50 percent
C) 1. 6.00 percent, 2. 6.0 percent, 3. 3.0 percent, 4. 21.50 percent
D) 1. 6.50 percent, 2. 6.0 percent, 3. 4.0 percent, 4. 21.25 percent
20) Which authority passed The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 after it was unanimously passed by the Lok Sabha by approving all the amendments made by Rajya Sabha earlier?
(In the Lok Sabha the bill was passed by two-third majority, with 443 members voting in its favour and none against in the final vote.)
A) The Parliament
B) The Supreme Court of India
C) The Rajya Sabha
D) President of India
21) Who was recently appointed as the Managing Director of State Bank of India?
A) Dinesh Kumar Khara
B) Arundhati Bhattacharya
C) B. Sriram
D) Rajnish Kumar
22) Name the former Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh who allegedly committed suicide on 9 August 2016 in Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh?
A) Kalikho Pul
B) Gegong Apang
C) Dorjee Khandu
D) Nabam tuki
23) Name the lady, also known as Iron Lady of Manipur, who on 09 August 2016 ended her 16-year-long hunger strike in Imphal, Manipur?
(She went on a hunger-strike at the age of 28 following a massacre in Imphal in which 10 persons were killed. Her primary demand was repealing of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) of 1958 from her state.)
A) W Leima Devi
B) K Apabi Devi
C) Nemcha Kipgen
D) Irom Chanu Sharmila
24) In which state Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the phase-1 of Mission Bhagiratha which is aimed to provide piped drinking water to every household in the state?
A) Andhra Pradesh
C) Tamil Nadu
25) Which renowned carnatic vocalist will be honoured at the United Nations on India's 70th Independence Day?
(A.R. Rahman will pay homage to the great singer by a performance at the United Nations General Assembly.)
A) M S Subbulakshmi
B) Subha Mudgal
C) B Jayashree
D) Himani Kapoor
26) Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Wednesday jointly dedicated to the nation the 1,000 MW Nuclear Power Plant-I. Where is this nuclear plant situated?
27) Name India's top squash player who on 13 August 2016 won the Australian Open Squash women's singles title in Melbourne?
(She defeated eighth seed Mayar Hany of Egypt 10-12, 11-5, 11-6, 11-4 in the 40-minute final.)
A) Dipika Pallikal
B) Joshana Chinappa
C) Sachika Ingale
D) Janet Vidhi
28) Which state became the first in the country to ratify the constitution amendment bill on the Goods and Services Tax (GST)?
(Bihar becomes the second state to ratify GST Constitution amendment Bill.)
D) Tamil Nadu
29) Name the former Union Minister who was on 17 August 2016 appointed as the 18th Governor of Manipur?
A) Najma Heptullah
B) E S L Narasimhan
C) Mridula Sinha
D) Draupadi Murmu
30) Name the Indian female wrestler who won bronze medal, India's first olympic medal, in 58-kilogram freestyle wrestling pulling off a sensational 8-5 victory over Aisuluu Tynybekova of Kyrgyzstan?
A) Saina Nehwal
B) Sakshi Malik
C) Geeta Singh
D) Babita Kumari
31) Which country top the medals table with 46 golds (121 total medals) at the recently concluded Rio Olympics?
A) Great Britain
32) How many world records were broken at the recently concluded Rio Olympics?
33) Which state in India becomes first south Indian state and third state in India to have a dedicated children's court?
C) Tamil Nadu
34) Name the former Governor of Bihar and West Bengal who died recently at the age of 96?
A) A R Kidwai
B) Ram Nath Kovind
C) Keshari Nath Tripathi
D) D Y Patil
35) Who won silver medal for India in female badminton singles title after losing to world number one Carolina Marin in the final at the Rio Olympics?
(She, age 21, became India's youngest Olympic medalist. She is also the youngest recipient (19 years) of the Padma Shri award.)
A) Saina Nehwal
B) Sakshi Mallik
C) P V Sindhu
D) Mary Kom
36) Who was appointed as the 24th Governor of the Reserve Bank of India succeeding Raghuram Rajan?
A) D Subbarao
B) Urjit Patel
C) Y V Reddy
D) Arvind Subramanian
37) Who was the first governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI)?
A) Osborne Smith
B) James Braid Taylor
C) C D Deshmukh
D) Benegal Rama Rau
38) Who was re-appointed as the Chairman of telecom giant Bharti Airtel for another 5 years?
A) Sunil Sood
B) Anil Ambani
C) Sunil Mittal
D) Himanshu Kapania
39) Who was India's flag bearer for the closing ceremony of the Rio Olympics?
(She became the first India woman wrestler to win an Olympic medal.)
A) Saina Nehwal
B) Abhinav Bindra
C) Sakshi Malik
D) P V Sindhu
40) How many medals India won at the recently concluded Rio Olympics games?
41) What is the position of India in terms of medal tally at the recently concluded Rio Olympics?
42) Name the Indian Olympic Committee (IOC) Chief who was awaraded the Olympic Order for outstanding services to the Olympic movement?
(Established in 1975, the Olympic Order is the highest award of the Olympic Movement, awarded for particularly distinguished contributions to the movement.)
A) Anil Kumar Sinha
B) Narayana Ramachandran
C) A S Kiran
D) Ms. Manjula
43) Who recently sworn-in as the new Governor of Punjab?
A) P Sathasivam
B) Janaki Ballabh Patnaik
C) Ram Nath Kovind
D) V P Singh
44) Who recently sworn-in as the 12th Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Island?
A) Jagdish Mukhi
B) Kiran Bedi
C) Virendra Kataria
D) Najeeb Jung
45) Which state became the 4th and the 5th state to pass the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Bill?
(Before these two states, Assam, Bihar and Jharkhand were the first three states to have passed the Bill.)
A) Punjab and Maharashtra
B) West Bengal and Odisha
C) Himachal Pradesh and Chhattisgarh
D) Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh
46) Who recently sworn-in as the new Governor of Assam?
A) Banwarilal Purohit
B) K Sankaranarayanan
D) S C Jamir
47) For the first time since the inception of the award, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, India's highest sporting honour, will be given to four athletes in the same year. Who are these four sportspersons?
A) Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar and Abhinav Bindra
B) Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Saina Nehwal and Abhinav Bindra
C) Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar and Jitu Rai
D) Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Saina Nehwal and Jitu Rai
48) Which Indian cricketer has created record for winning the most Man of the Series titles in Test after winning his sixth one in the recently concluded India-West Indies series?
(He broke the record of Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag who both had won five Man of the Series titles.)
A) Virat Kohli
B) Ravichandran Ashwin
C) Varun Aaron
D) Shikhar Dhawan
49) AIIMS of which state has introduced a nine-month course on Sanskrit for students and staff members?
A) Chattisgarh (AIIMS Raipur)
B) Uttarakhand (AIIMS Rishikesh)
C) Madhya Pradesh (AIIMS Bhopal)
D) Bihar (AIIMS,Patna)
50) Which state/UT recently passed the GST Constitutional Amendment Bill becoming the 7th and 8th states/UT to ratify the legislation?
(The Constitution Amendment Bill requires ratification by at least 15 states to become a law.)
A) Karntaka and Arunachal Pradesh
B) Madhya Pradesh and Delhi
C) Uttarakhand and Kerala
D) West Bengal and Odisha
51) Name the former President of Singapore who passed away on 22 August 2016?
A) R V Pillai
B) A R Venkatraman
C) S Ramachandran
D) S R Nathan
52) Name the veteran Sri Lanka batsman who on 25 August 2016 announced his retirement from international cricket?
He will play his last ODI in Dambulla on 28 August 2016 against Australia.)
A) Kumar Sangakkara
B) Tillakaratne Dilshan
C) Kusal Perera
D) Angelo Mathews
53) International Day Against Nuclear Tests was observed across the world on?
A) 12 August 2016
B) 29 August 2016
C) 21 August 2016
D) 17 August 2016
54) Name the Australian pilot, age 18, who has set a world record of becoming the youngest person to fly solo around the world in a single aircraft?
(He took 54 days to complete 45,000 km trip, stopping at 24 locations and 15 countries during the journey.)
A) Lachlan Smart
B) Wiley Post
C) Thomas Etholen
D) Amelia Earhart
55) Which country recently opened one of the world's biggest suspension bridges (1.4 km long) across the Bosphorus Strait connecting Asia and Europe?
56) Who on 25 August 2016 won the UEFA Best Player in Europe award for 2015-16?
(He won the award for the second time in three years.)
A) Cristiano Ronaldo
B) Lionel Messi
D) Wayne Rooney
57) The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) on 28 August 2016 successfully test launched the Supersonic Combustion Ramjet engine, called ............., from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikotta in Andhra Pradesh.
58) National Sports Day was observed across India on?
(This day is celebrated to mark the birth anniversary of the legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand who was born on this day.)
A) 3 August 2016
B) 29 August 2016
C) 19 August 2016
D) 24 August 2016
59) Name the eminent author who was awarded the prestigious Saraswati Samman for the year 2015 for her autobiography 'Chitt-Chete' written in Dogri language?
A) Veerappa Moily
B) Govind Mishra
D) Padma Sachdev
60) As per The International Kabaddi Federation (IKF) announcement on 22 August 2016, which Indian state will host the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup?
D) Tamil Nadu
61) Against which country India on 22 August 2016 won the four-match test series 2-0?
A) West Indies
C) Sri Lanka
62) Name the Hindi scholar and writer who was on 17 August 2016 awarded with the prestigious 25th Vyas Samman 2015 for her poetry collection Kshama?
A) Sunita Jain
B) Kamal Kishore Goyenka
C) Vishwanath Tripathi
D) Narendra Kohli
63) Name the woman wrestler who was named as Haryana's brand ambassador for Beti Bachao, Beti Padao campaign?
(She recently won the bronze medal at 2016 Rio Olympics in the 58 kg category.)
A) Sakshi Malik
B) Babita Kumari
C) P V Sindhu
D) Mary Kom
64) Name the Indian wrestler whose bronze medal from the 2012 London Olympics was upgraded to silver on 30 August 2016?
(The medal was upgraded after second-place finisher late Besik Kudukhov of Russia was stripped off his medal for failing a dope test.)
A) Akhil Kumar
B) Yogeshwar Dutt
C) Jitender Kumar
D) Vijender Singh
65) Name the ace badminton player who was made brand ambassador by CRPF, India's largest paramilitary force, on 29 August 2016?
(She won a historic silver medal in the women's singles badminton at the recently concluded Rio Olympic Games.)
A) Tania Sachdev
B) Dipika Pallikal
C) P V Sindhu
D) Saina Nehwal
66) Which state (As of August 2016) has become the first Indian state to distribute 2 crore LED bulbs under Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA) scheme?
B) West Bengal
D) Madhya Pradesh
67) Name the Indian wicketkeeper batsman who has become the fastest player to score centuries in all three formats (Test, ODI and T20I) in international cricket, taking 20 innings cumulatively?
(He is also the only batsman to reach 100 with a six in all formats.)
A) Shikhar Dhawan
B) Rohit Sharma
C) Virat Kohli
D) K L Rahul