You are here: Home >> Current Affairs >> Current Affairs Quiz >> June 2016
1) Which cricket stadium will host India's 1st day-night Test Match against New Zealand later this year?
A) M A Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai
B) Eden Garden, Kolkata
C) Feroz Shah Kotla Ground, Delhi
D) Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai
2) High Court of which state ruled that no service tax can be levied on the purchase of flats in an under-construction building in a housing project?
A) Mumbai High Court
B) Kolkata High Court
C) Chennai High Court
D) Delhi High Court
3) Who was named as the ambassador for Swachh Saathi (student internship) programme?
A) Dia Mirza
B) Sushmita Sen
C) Aishwarya Rai
D) Lara Dutta
4) Name the retail giant which topped the Fortune 500 list for the fourth consecutive year?
B) Exxon Mobil
5) Who topped Forbes' list of world's highest paid female athlete surpassing Russia's Maria Sharapova?
A) Caroline Garcia
B) Garbine Muguruza
C) Venus Williams
D) Serena Williams
6) Name the Russian tennis player who was banned for two years over doping by the International Tennis Federation?
A) Maria Sharapova
B) Anna Kournikova
C) Maria Kirilenko
D) Svetlana Kuznetsova
7) Who became the first footballer ever to top Forbes' list of highest-earning athletes of the year?
A) Lionel Messi
B) Cristiano Ronaldo
D) Wayne Rooney
8) The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) has announced the names proposed for the new elements, whose discovery helped complete the seventh row of the Periodic Table in December last year. The names proposed for the elements with atomic numbers 113, 115, 117 and 118 were?
A) Nihonium (Nh), Moscovium (Mc), Tennessine (Ts) and Oganesson (Og)
B) Rhenium (Re), Moscovium (Mc), Tennessine (Ts) and Astatine (At)
C) Nihonium (Nh), Moscovium (Mc), Rutherfordium (Rf) and Seaborgium (Sg)
D) Rhenium (Re), Francium (Fr), Tennessine (Ts) and Astatine (At)
9) Which Indian city became the first to have an official city animal after the Gangetic River Dolphin was declared the city's mascot?
10) Which tennis player became the first since 1969 to be the defending champion of all four Grand Slams - French Open, Wimbledon, Australian Open and US Open - at a single time?
A) Andy Murray
B) Rafael Nadal
C) Roger Federer
D) Novak Djokovic
11) Name the chief minister of Bihar who recently launched the Bihar Public Grievance Redressal Act, empowering the public to get their grievances redressed within a specified time frame?
A) Ramvilas Paswan
B) Mulayam Singh Yadav
C) Nitish Kumar
D) Lalu Yadav
12) Name the world number one who won the French Open 2016 title defeating Andy Murray 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 in the final?
A) Rafael Nadal
B) Stan Wawrinka
C) Novak Djokovic
D) Roger Federer
13) Name the Indian bodybuilder and the first person from independent India to win the Mr Universe title who recently passed away at the age of 102 at his Kolkata residence?
A) Thakur Anoop Singh
B) Manohar Aich
C) Amit Chhetri
D) Varinder Ghuman
14) Name the Hollywood actor who has been appointed as UN Women Goodwill Ambassador?
A) Anne Hathaway
B) Charlize Theron
C) Emma Stone
D) Angelina Jolie
15) Name the official slogan revealed by the Rio 2016 organising committee on 14 June 2016 for the first Olympic and Paralympic Games to be held in South America?
A) The Great Challenge
B) Inspire a Generation
C) One World, One Dream
D) A New World
16) Name the Australian rodent found only on a tiny island on the Great Barrier Reef which has been named the 1st mammal to go extinct due to human-caused climate change?
A) Leatherback Turtles
B) Pied Tamarin
C) Bramble Cay melomys
D) Seychelles Sheath-Tailed Bat
17) Name the sofware giant which will buy LinkedIn Corp for $26.2 billion in its biggest-ever deal?
B) Microsoft Corp
18) World Blood Donors Day 2016 was observed with theme "Blood connects us all" on?
A) 4th June
B) 14th June
C) 20th June
D) 24th June
19) Name the Fijian diplomat who has been elected as President of 71st session of United Nations General Assembly (UNGA)?
A) Mogens Lykketoft
B) Sam Kutesa
C) John W. Ashe
D) Peter Thomson
20) Which country became world's first country to ban deforestation?
21) World Day Against Child Labour was observed across the world on?
A) 2 June 2016
B) 12 June 2016
C) 22 June 2016
D) 30 June 2016
22) Name the Canadian author who has been awarded the 2016 PEN Pinter Award?
(The award was established in 2009 in the memory of the Nobel-winning playwright Harold Pinter.)
A) Margaret Atwood
B) J K Rowling
C) Julian Barnes
D) Ian McEwan
23) Who has been presented with National Order of the Republic of Ivory Coast, the highest civilian award of the West African country?
A) RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan
B) Prime Minister Narendra Modi
C) President Pranab Mukherjee
D) Reliance Chairman Mukesh Ambani
24) Name the business tycoon who has been declared a proclaimed offender in a money laundering case by a special court in Mumbai following a petition by the Enforcement Directorate or ED?
A) Subrata Roy
B) Vijay Mallya
C) Ramalinga Raju
D) Sudipto Sen
25) Name the senior IAS officer who has been appointed as Director General of Doordarshan?
A) Supriya Sahu
B) Veena Jain
C) Aparna Vaish
D) C. B. S. Maurya
26) Name the founder and chairman of Bharti Enterprises who has been elected chairman of the International Chambers of Commerce (ICC) taking over from Terry McGraw, Chairman Emeritus of S&P Global?
A) Mukesh Ambani
B) Sunil Bharti Mittal
C) Azim Premji
D) Pallonji Mistry
27) Name the programme launched by the HRD Ministry which will allow volunteers to conduct sessions for co-scholastic activities like reading, creating writing and public speaking for classes I to VIII in government schools?
28) Name the Indian Navy officer who has become the first Indian to win an international racketlon tournament?
(He was named 'King of Rackets' at the recently concluded Nordic Racket Games in Denmark.)
A) S M Nanda
B) Kalyani Sen
C) Karambir Singh
D) Ashutosh Pednekar
29) Name the congress councillor who was sworn-in as the first mayor of Imphal?
A) Okram Ibobi Singh
B) Sanbhor Sullai
C) Soram Sunil
D) Martin Danggo
30) Men's hockey team of which country defeated India 3-1 on penalties in the final of the Champions Trophy?
(India had to settled for its maiden silver medal in the Champions Trophy.)
C) South Korea
31) India recorded its highest-ever tea production at ....... million kg during 2015-16.
32) Name the former cricketer and former BJP MP who has been named the chairman of the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)?
A) Chetan Chauhan
B) Mohammad Azharuddin
C) Mohinder Amarnath
D) Dilip Vengsarkar
33) Avani Chaturvedi of Madhya Pradesh, Bhawana Kanth of Bihar and Mohana Singh of Gujarat were in news recently because?
A) They were the first and only female team from India to conquer Mount Everest.
B) They qualified for the Rio Olympics 2016.
C) They were awarded Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award for their contribution in sports.
D) They were inducted into Indian Air Force (IAF) as the first ever batch of female pilots.
34) Name the Indian cricketer who has become the first Indian to score a century (100 not out) on debut in an One Day International against Zimbabwe?
A) Shitanshu Kotak
B) KL Rahul
C) Subramaniam Badrinath
D) Unmukt Chand
35) Name the Indian shooter and Olympic gold medallist who has been chosen to be the flag bearer of Indian contingent at the Rio Olympics 2016?
A) Gagan Narang
B) Jitu Rai
C) Abhinav Bindra
D) Vijay Kumar
36) Name the female Indian badminton player who has won the Australian Open Super Series badminton tournament defeating China's Sun Yu in the final?
A) Jwala Gutta
B) P. V. Sindhu
C) Sayali Gokhale
D) Saina Nehwal
37) Name the personality credited with pioneering quizzing in the country who died recently?
(He had conducted the first well-organized, formal quiz in 1967 at Christ the King Church Parish Hall in Kolkata. He was also a former chairman of the ICSE and the Inter State Board of Anglo-Indian Education.)
A) Neil O'Brien
B) Derek O'Brien
C) Siddhartha Basu
D) Harsha Bhogle
38) Paving the way for the largest-ever spectrum auction in the country, the Union Cabinet approved the sale of all available spectrum. In the auction about 2000 MHz of airwaves will be put up for sale which is likely to be conducted in September 2016. Going by the reserve/base price what is the value of the spectrum sale?
A) Rs 3.3 lakh crore
B) Rs 4.4 lakh crore
C) Rs 5.5 lakh crore
D) Rs 6.6 lakh crore
39) Name the female athlete from Odisha who broke the women's 100m National record twice in a day in women's 100m event and qualified for the Rio Olympics at the XXVI International Meeting in Kazakhstan?
A) Asha Agarwal
B) Dutee Chand
C) Anisa Sayyed
D) Arunima Sinha
40) Which substance was banned as a food additive by the Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) following reports that it could cause cancer?
A) Potassium Bromide
D) Potassium Bromate
41) Name the former captain of Indian cricket team who was appointed head coach of the national team?
A) Ravi Shastri
B) Sunil Gavaskar
C) Anil Kumble
D) Rahul Dravid
42) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) created a new record by launching a number of satellites on-board PSLV-C34 from Sriharikota, the most in a single Indian mission, belonging to the US, Germany, Canada, Indonesia and India. How many satellites were launched in this mission?
43) Name the indigenous Basic Trainer Aircraft (BTA) which was inaugurated by the public-sector aerospace and defence major Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) recently?
44) Which country won the Copa America Centenario after defeating Argentina 4-2 in penalties in the final?
45) What is the name of captain of Argentinian football team who recently announced his retirement from international football following Argentina's loss to Chile in Copa America final?
A) Luis Suarez
C) Cristiano Ronaldo
D) Lionel Messi
46) Which game was included in 2016 Rio Olympic games after 112 years?
(This game was discontinued in Olympics after being played in 1900 and 1904.)
47) What is the name of undersea internet cable (length - 9000 km) funded by Google which went live recently and connects United States and Japan?
(The cable's capacity of 60 Tbps is reportedly 10 million times faster than a cable modem.)
48) What is the name of upcoming Android version 'Android N' which was recently announced by Google and is again based on dessert-themed names for the operating system?
B) New York Cheesecake (NYC)
49) What is the name of CEO of Google who was among the four Indian-American who have been awarded the 'Great Immigrants: The Pride of America' award in the United States?
A) L.N. Mittal
B) Sundar Pichai
C) Satya Nadella
D) Indra Nooyi
50) Women's team of which country has claimed a record seventh Champions Trophy hockey title with a 2-1 win over reigning World and Olympic champions, the Netherlands, in the final held on 27th June 2016?
D) South Korea
51) Which Indian state has become the first in the country to grant minority status on its Jewish community?
C) Madhya Pradesh
D) West Bengal
52) Who has been appointed as Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India replacing H R Khan?
A) Raghuram Rajan
B) Urjit R Patel
C) S S Mundra
D) N S Vishwanathan
53) The Union Government recently changed the norms for Public Provident Fund (PPF) deposits allowing the subscribers of the scheme to prematurely close their accounts and withdraw the complete amount after ......... years.
(However, the withdrawal will be allowed for expenditure towards higher education or medical treatment.)
54) Which authority has recently approved a Niti Aayog proposal of making available online the scores and rankings of candidates taking competitive examinations for central government jobs?
A) Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT)
B) Staff Selection Commission (SSC)
C) Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
D) Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS)
55) What is the name of 400-square kilometre island in the Brahmaputra river in Assam which became India's first island district?
56) According to the data released by the Reserve Bank of India which state in India has the highest fiscal deficit at Rs 31,870 crore?
(Fiscal deficit is the difference between the state's expenditure and income.)
A) Tamil Nadu
C) West Bengal
57) The 30th anniversary of Peace Day, the day of signing of the historic Mizo Peace Accord in 1986 was celebrated across Mizoram for the first time. The Peace Day celebrated is also known as?
C) Remna Ni
58) What is the name of initiative launched by India Post which allowed individuals and corporate entities to get their photos or logos printed on a postage stamp for Rs 12 lakh?
A) Your Stamp
B) My Stamp
C) Your Stamp Logo
D) My Stamp Logo
59) What is the name of indigenously developed heavyweight anti-submarine torpedo developed by Naval Science and Technological Laboratory of the DRDO which was recently inducted into the Indian Navy?
60) What is the name of Surface-to-Air ballistic missile developed in collaboration with Israel which was test fired successfully from launch pad no-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur off Odisha coast?
61) What is the name of India's first indigenously built Light Combat Aircraft manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) which was recently inducted into Indian Air Force as a part of squadron 45 'Flying Daggers'?
A) Sukhoi Su-30MKI
C) Mikoyan MiG-29
D) Mirage 2000