You are here: Home >> Current Affairs >> Current Affairs Quiz >> May 2016
1) Which country won the 2016 Asia Kabaddi Championship Cup defeating India 50-31 in the final?
2) Which European bank has decided to permanently stop producing the 500 euro banknote and to exclude it from the Europa series, taking into account concerns that this banknote could facilitate illicit activities?
A) Euro Bank
B) State Bank of Europe
C) European State Bank
D) European Central Bank
3) Name England's world number one who won World Snooker Championship for the second time by defeating China's Ding Junhui 18-14 in the final?
A) Mark Williams
B) Mark Selby
C) Alex Higgins
D) Walter Donaldson
4) Which English team won the English Premier League (EPL) title for the 1st time in 132-year history?
A) Manchester United
B) Manchester City
C) Leicester City
D) Chelsea FC
5) World Press Freedom Day with the theme 'Access to Information and Fundamental Freedoms - This Is Your Right' was observed across the world on?
A) 3rd May
B) 10th May
C) 15th May
D) 20th May
6) International Labour Day with the theme 'Celebrating the international labour movement' was celebrated across the world on?
A) 1st May
B) 10th May
C) 18th May
D) 25th May
7) Name the Senegalese United Nations diplomat who was appointed by world governing body of football, FIFA, as its first ever female secretary general?
A) Kerry Washington
B) Fatma Samoura
C) Zoe Saldana
D) Regina King
8) Which is the most polluted city in the world according to the latest WHO report?
A) Zabol (Iran)
B) Gwalior (India)
C) Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
D) Bamenda (Cameroon)
9) In which state Asia's first Rice Technology Park will be setup on the public-private participation model as a one-stop solution to all problems of rice and maize growers?
A) Uttar Pradesh
B) Madhya Pradesh
10) Name the present Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C) of Western Naval Command who has been chosen to take over as the next Chief of the Naval Staff with effect from May 31, 2016?
A) D K Joshi
B) Sunil Lanba
C) Robin K Dhowan
D) Nirmal K Verma
11) Who took over as the part-time Chairperson of National Statistical Commission?
A) Radha Binod Barman
B) Suresh D. Tendulkar
C) Dr. Surjit Bhalla
D) Bikas Sinha
12) Name the bill recently passed by the Lok Sabha which establishes the National Compensatory Afforestation Fund under the Public Account of India, and a State Compensatory Afforestation Fund under the Public Account of each state?
A) Compensatory Afforestation Fund Bill, 2015
B) Forest Afforestation Fund Bill, 2015
C) Compensatory Forest Fund Bill, 2015
D) National Forest Protection Bill, 2015
13) Who will head the 3-member committee appointed by the Supreme Court to reform the Medical Council of India (MCI), which the Supreme Court described as unprofessional?
A) Former CJI R M Lodha
B) Former CJI H L Dattu
C) Former CJI P Sathasivam
D) Former CJI Altamas Kabir
14) Which scheme was launched by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi at Balia which aimed at providing cooking gas connections to five crore below-poverty-line beneficiaries over the next three years?
A) Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
B) Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
C) Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
D) Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Yojana
15) Name the former ISRO Chairman who became the first Indian to be given the 'Hall of Fame' award by the International Astronautical Federation ( IAF )?
A) Shailesh Nayak
B) K Radhakrishnan
C) G Madhavan Nair
D) U R Rao
16) Name India's oldest living Test cricketer who died recently?
(He was the first Indian to score a century in his first Test innings on debut. He was 87 and was suffering from lung cancer.)
A) Lala Amarnath
B) Deepak Shodhan
C) Amol Muzumdar
D) Amarjit Kaypee
17) Abandoning the ancient concept of five-year plans that India has been following since 1951, the National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog has decided to come up with a ..... year vision document in tandem with global trends and economic growth.
A) 6 years
B) 10 years
C) 15 years
D) 20 years
18) Who has been appointed by the world governing body of soccer FIFA as the deputy chairman of its governance committee?
A) Justice S H Kapadia
B) Justice K G Balakrishnan
C) Justice Mukul Mudgal
D) Justice Yogesh Kumar Sabharwal
19) Name the intellectual property policy which has been recently approved by the Union Cabinet?
(It is a vision document that aims to create and exploit synergies between all forms of intellectual property (IP), concerned statutes and agencies.)
A) Intellectual Property Rights Policy
B) National Intellectual Property Rights Policy
C) International Intellectual Property Rights Policy
D) National Property Rights Policy
20) According to the WHO report, Delhi is no longer the world's most polluted city. What is the current rank of Delhi in the list of world's most polluted cities?
21) Name the Kotak Mahindra Bank Chief who has a net worth of about $7.1 billion and is the sole Indian in Forbes' list of 40 of the most powerful people in the financial world?
A) Smt. Shikha Sharma
B) Aditya Puri
C) Smt Chanda Kochar
D) Uday Kotak
22) National Technology Day was observed across India on?
(It was on this day in the year 1998, that India successfully carried out series of nuclear tests at Pokhran. India also performed successful test firing of the Trishul missile on this day.)
A) 8th May
B) 11th May
C) 19th May
D) 23rd May
23) Which state received the "Best Indian Destination for Wildlife" award by the Lonely Planet Group?
(It has 25 wild life sanctuaries including 9 National Parks.)
A) Uttar Pradesh Tourism
B) Gujarat Tourism
C) Madhya Pradesh Tourism
D) Karnataka Tourism
24) Who resigned as the president of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) recently?
A) Shashank Manohar
B) Jagmohan Dalmiya
C) N Srinivasan
D) Sharad Pawar
25) Which party won the 2016 Legislative Assembly Election in the state of Tamil Nadu?
A) Indian National Congress(INC)
B) All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK)
C) Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK)
D) Marxist Communist Party of India (MDMK)
26) Which party won the 2016 Legislative Assembly Election in the state of West Bengal?
A) Communist Party of India (Marxist)
B) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
C) Indian National Congress(INC)
D) Trinamool Congress (TMC)
27) Which party won the 2016 Legislative Assembly Election in the state of Assam?
A) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
B) Indian National Congress(INC)
C) Asom Gana Parishad
D) Communist Party of India (Marxist)
28) Which party won the 2016 Legislative Assembly Election in the state of Kerala?
A) Communist Party of India (Marxist)
B) Left Democratic Front (LDF)
C) Janata Dal (Secular)
D) Indian National Congress(INC)
29) In which Indian city World's largest Single Rooftop Solar Power Plant of 11.5 Mega Watt capacity was inaugurated recently?
30) Name the former IPS officer and BJP leader who was appointed as the Lieutenant Governor to Puducherry?
A) Najeeb Jung
B) A. K. Singh
C) Kiran Bedi
D) Ashish Kundra
31) Name the AIADMK chief who took oath as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu on 23.05.2016 for the sixth time?
(This is her second consecutive term as the Chief Minister.)
A) Anandiben Patel
B) J Jayalalithaa
C) Mamata Banerjee
D) Mehbooba Mufti
32) Who took oath as the Chief Minister of Assam on 24.05.2016 becoming the first ever BJP candidate to hold the post in the State?
A) Sarbananda Sonowal
B) Tarun Gogoi
C) Prafulla Kumar Mahanta
D) Bhumidhar Barman
33) Who took oath as the 22nd Chief Minister of Kerala on 25.05.2016?
A) Pinarayi Vijayan
B) Oommen Chandy
C) V. S. Achuthanandan
D) A. K. Antony
34) Name the policy approved by the Union Cabinet recently which aims at creating 21 million new jobs by 2025?
A) Jobs For All Policy
B) National Capital Goods Policy
C) National Jobs Policy
D) National Jobs Guarantee Scheme
35) The Union Cabinet give approval to 6 new IITs. These 6 new IITs will be setup at?
(It has also approved to convert Indian School of Mines (ISM), Dhanbad to an IIT.)
A) Sikkim, Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir), Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh), Bokaro (Jharkhand), Dharwad (Karnataka) and Bhilai (Chattisgarh)
B) Gujarat, Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir), Shimla (Himachal Pradesh), Palakkad (Kerala), Dharwad (Karnataka) and Bhilai (Chattisgarh)
C) Goa, Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir), Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh), Palakkad (Kerala), Dharwad (Karnataka) and Meghalaya (Shillong)
D) Goa, Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir), Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh), Palakkad (Kerala), Dharwad (Karnataka) and Bhilai (Chattisgarh)
36) What is the name of India's first and largest multilingual dictionary in the form of a mobile app recently launched by the Human Resource Development Ministry?
37) Name the Vice Admiral who took charge as the new Chief of the Naval Staff replacing RK Dhowan?
A) Sunil Lanba
B) Dalbir Singh
C) Arup Raha
D) PP Reddy
38) The Prime Minister today approved the proposal of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare for enhancing the age of superannuation of all doctors of the Central Health Service to ....... years with effect from 31st May 2016.
A) 62 years
B) 63 years
C) 64 years
D) 65 years
39) Who was recently appointed as the Finance Secretary?
A) Mayuresh G Counto
B) Ashok Lavasa
C) Rajiv Mehrishi
D) Arvind Mayaram
40) The Union Cabinet gave its approval to India Post to set up payment bank. How many branches of the postal bank will be set up by September 2017?
41) Which team defeated Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) to win the maiden Indian Premier League title?
A) Sun Risers Hyderabad
B) Kolkata Knight Riders
C) Mumbai Indians
D) Delhi Daredevils
42) Which cricket player was the leading run scorer (973 runs) in the Indian Premier League 2016?
A) Rohit Sharma
B) Shikhar Dhawan
C) David Warner
D) Virat Kohli
43) Which cricket player was the leading wicket taker (23 wickets) in the Indian Premier League 2016?
A) Bhuvneshwar Kumar
B) Yuzvendra Chahal
C) Shane Watson
D) Dhawal Kulkarni
44) Which team won the 2016 Federation Cup football tournament defeating Aizwal F.C. in the finals?
A) SC Goa
B) Salgaocar SC
D) Mohun Bagan
45) Which Indian public sector bank reported the highest ever loss for any Indian bank at Rs 5,367 crore for the quarter ending 31 Mar 2016?
A) State Bank of India
B) Punjab National Bank
C) Bank of Baroda
D) Union Bank of India
46) Name the first Follow-on Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC) built by M/s Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE) which was commissioned into the Indian Navy on 23.05.2016?
A) INS Sindhukesari
B) INS Viraat
C) INS Tarmugli
D) INS Rana
47) Name the mobile application launched by President Pranab Mukherjee which aimed at turning the President's Estate into a smart township?
B) Smart Town
C) President Estate
48) ................. became the first Union Territory (UT) to sign "24x7 Power for All" document. The document chalks out a plan to increase solar capacity of the region from 2.15 MW to 8.45 MW.
B) Andama and Nicobar Island
C) Daman and Diu