You are here: Home >> Current Affairs >> Current Affairs Quiz >> October 2016
1) Which cricket player became the first player to score a century in all international formats at the same venue after making 111(93) against Australia at Johannesburg?
(At the same venue he scored a ODI hundred against India in 2013 and a T20I hundred against West Indies in 2015.)
A) AB de Villiers
B) Hashim Amla
C) Faf du Plessis
D) JP Duminy
2) Who got 2016 Nobel Prize in Medicine for his discoveries about autophagy or how the body's cells detoxify and repair themselves?
A) Duncan Haldane
B) Yoshinori Ohsumi
C) David Thouless
D) Michael Kosterlitz
3) Duncan Haldane, David Thouless and Michael Kosterlitz were awarded 2016 Nobel Prize in Physics for their work on exotic states of matter. Which country they belong to?
(They discovered a mathematical framework in the field of topography to explain unexpected properties of solid materials.)
D) Great Britain
4) Against which country India took an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three match Test series by defeating them by 178 runs in the second Test?
(With this victory India regained its status as the world's number one Test team from Pakistan.)
A) New Zealand
D) Sri Lanka
5) Name the Indian freedom fighter who despite being nominated for Nobel Peace Prize five times could never won it?
A) Dr B R Ambedkar
B) Subhas Chandra Bose
C) Jawaharlal Nehru
D) Mahatma Gandhi
6) Name the actor known for his role in 'Baahubali: The Beginning' who became the first South-Indian actor to feature at Madame Tussauds museum?
B) Mahesh Babu
7) Which Indian city has been conferred with the title of the 'Cleanest Tourist Destination' in India by the Ministry of Tourism?
8) Who is the current National Security Advisor of India?
(The post of the National Security Advisor (NSA) was created in 1998 by Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Brajesh Mishra was the first NSA of India. NSA is the PM's primary advisor on security matters.)
A) J N Dixit
B) M K Narayanan
C) Ajit Doval
D) Shivshankar Menon
9) Which state became India's first state to implement Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) in Kerosene?
C) West Bengal
10) Which Indian company recently announced a joint venture with Rafale fighter jet maker Dassault Aviation?
A) Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
B) Mazagon Dock Limited
C) Adani Defence Systems and Technologies Ltd
D) Reliance Group
11) Name the short film which won the first prize at the Swachh Bharat Short Film Festival (SBSFF)?
A) Nanha Doot
B) Chembuku Moodindi (The Dying Vessel)
C) Sarkarmi Rati Wadho!
12) In which city the National Mission on Bioeconomy was launched recently?
A) Shillong, Meghalaya
B) Gangtok, Sikkim
C) Kolkata, West Bengal
D) Agartala, Tripura
13) Supreme Court of India on 07.10.2016 stayed the operation of .......... High Court judgement quashing the State Government's law banning sale and consumption of all types of liquor in the state.
14) Name the Colombian President who won the Nobel Peace Prize 2016 for his efforts to bring an end to a fifty-year long civil war, the longest running civil conflict in the world?
A) Alvaro Uribe Velez
B) Andres Pastrana Arango
C) Michel Temer
D) Juan Manuel Santos
15) How much revenue Union Government raised in India's largest spectrum sale which ended on 06.10.2016?
(The revenue generated was about Rs 5 lakh crore short of the targeted base sale price.)
A) Rs 66,000 crore
B) Rs 55,000 crore
C) Rs 77,000 crore
D) Rs 1,00,000 crore
16) Which communication satellite was successfully launched by India on 06.10.2016 by the heavy duty Ariane 5 rocket from Kourou in French Guiana?
17) At which place in India, 12-nation Kabaddi World Cup 2016 started recently?
(This is the third edition of the tournament (international format), with India having won both the earlier titles.)
18) Union Home Ministry has recently decided to completely seal the Indian border with ............ by December 2018.
C) Sri Lanka
19) Which state government has decided to celebrate Tipu Sultan Jayanti across the state on November 10 every year?
B) Tamil Nadu
C) Andhra Pradesh
20) In which state Hatupur Diamond mineral block was successfully auctioned on October 5 and has become the first diamond mineral block of the country to be auctioned?
(The block has diamond mineral deposits worth nearly 106 crore.)
A) Madhya Pradesh
C) Tamil Nadu
21) Who played the role of Dhoni in the biopic 'M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story'?
A) Ranbir Kapoor
B) Tiger Shroff
C) Sushant Singh Rajput
D) Arjun Kapoor
22) Name the Indian shooter who won silver medal in the men's 50-metre air pistol event, at the 2016 ISSF World Cup in Italy?
A) Gagan Narang
B) Jitu Rai
C) Abhinav Bindra
D) Vijay Kumar
23) Pawan Kumar Chamling was recently conferred with the 2016 'Sustainable Development Leadership Award' by President Pranab Mukherjee during the World Sustainable Development Summit. He is the Chief Minister of?
D) Arunachal Pradesh
24) Name the Indian girl who won the girls' Under-16 title at the World Youth Chess Championships in Russia?
A) Aakanksha Hagawane
B) Tania Sachdev
C) Dronavalli Harika
D) Mary Ann Gomes
25) Technology giant Samsung on October 10 completely stopped its .............................. model sales after fires were also reported in replacements that were claimed to be "safe".
A) Galaxy Note 5
B) Galaxy Note 6
C) Galaxy Note 7
D) Galaxy Note 8
26) International Day of the Girl Child is observed across the world on?
A) October 8
B) October 9
C) October 10
D) October 11
27) Name the duo who was awarded The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2016 "for their contributions to contract theory"?
A) Duncan Haldane and David Thouless
B) Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmstrom
C) Duncan Haldane and Bengt Holmstrom
D) Oliver Hart and Yoshinori Ohsumi
28) Which Bollywood actor became the highest advance taxpayer for the financial year 2016-17 by paying Rs 16 crore?
A) Salman Khan
B) Akshay Kumar
C) Amitabh Bachchan
D) Shahrukh Khan
29) Name the sportsperson who became the first sportsperson to be conferred with the Indian Air Force's honorary rank of Group Captain for his cricketing achievements and contribution to the country?
(The Indian Air Force celebrated 84th anniversary of its inception on October 8.)
A) Sachin Tendulkar
B) M S Dhoni
C) Virat Kohli
D) Sourav Ganguly
30) What is the motto of Indian Air Force?
(The motto which means 'Touch the sky with glory' has been taken from the eleventh chapter of the Bhagavad Gita.)
A) Sha-no Varuna
B) Veerta Aur Vivek
C) Sarve Santu Nirmaya
D) Nabha Sparsham Deeptam
31) Who won The Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition"?
A) Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmstrom
B) Bob Dylan
C) Bengt Holmstrom
D) Bernard L. Feringa
32) Who won Nobel Prize 2016 for Chemistry "for the design and synthesis of molecular machines"?
A) Oliver Hart, Jean-Pierre Sauvage and Bengt Holmstrom
B) Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmstrom
C) Sir J. Fraser Stoddart and Bernard L. Feringa
D) Jean-Pierre Sauvage, Sir J. Fraser Stoddart and Bernard L. Feringa
33) Name the former Prime Minister of Portugal who was appointed by the United Nations General Assembly as the next Secretary-General for five years starting January 1, 2017 replacing South Korea's Ban Ki-moon who served two terms as the UN Secretary-General?
A) Antonio Guterres
B) Anthony Lake
C) Dr Jim Yong Kim
D) Dr Margaret Chan
34) Name the former chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) who has become the first Indian to be inducted into the 2016 IAF Hall of Fame by the International Aeronautical Federation (IAF)?
A) K Radhakrishnan
B) A S Kiran Kumar
C) Prof U R Rao
D) G Madhavan Nair
35) Name the public sector bank of India which has become the first Indian bank to open a branch in Yangon, a former capital and largest city of Myanmar?
A) Bank of Baroda (BoB)
B) Bank of India (BoI)
C) State Bank of India (SBI)
D) UCO Bank
36) Name the Indian wildlife Film-maker and elephant researcher who has been appointed Chevalier de l'Ordre National du Merite (Knight in the National Order of Merit), one of the highest civilian recognitions of the French government?
(The appointment by the President of the French Republic comes "in recognition of a life devoted to caring for wild Asian elephants.")
A) Anjali Gopalan
B) Prajna Chowta
C) General JJ Singh
D) Manish Arora
37) Name the state in which the first BRICS U-17 football tournament was inaugurated recently by the Union Minister of State (I/C) Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Vijay Goel?
38) Name the Abu Dhabi Crown Prince who will be the Chief Guest at the Republic Day celebrations in 2017?
A) Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan
C) Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani
D) Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
39) Which country in October 2016 suspended co-operation with the UN's cultural agency, UNESCO, accusing it of denying Judaism's connections to the religion's holiest sites?
40) Which country on 15 October 2016 won the first BRICS U-17 football tournament by defeating South Africa 5-1?
(Final was held at Nehru Stadium of Margo, Goa.)
41) World Food Day 2016 was observed across the world on .................. with the theme Climate is changing. Food and agriculture must too.
(It is celebrated every year on 16 October globally in honor of the date of the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations in 1945.)
A) 31 October
B) 6 October
C) 21 October
D) 16 October
42) Which country became the first cricket team in the world to play 900 One Day Internationals (ODI)?
43) With which country India has signed a deal to acquire five S-400 'Triumph' anti-missile defence systems for $5 billion or 39,000 crores?
(The anti-missile defence system has the capability to destroy incoming hostile aircraft, missiles and even drones at ranges of up to 400 km.)
44) At which place in India, 8th BRICS Summit was held from 15th to 16th October with the theme Building Responsive, Inclusive and Collective Solutions?
B) New Delhi
45) Which eminent writer was on 15 October 2016 selected for the Mathrubhumi Literary Award 2016 in recognition of his contribution to the field of literature?
(The award carries a cash prize of 2 lakh rupees, a citation and a statuette.)
A) C Radhakrishnan
B) T Padmanabhan
D) Punathil Kunjabdulla
46) Name India's second largest private oil firm which has been acquired by Russia's state-owned oil company Rosneft and a consortium of Trafigura and United Capital Partners in an all-cash deal valued at nearly $13 billion?
(This deal is the single largest foreign investment in India's refining sector.)
A) Cairn India
B) Essar Oil
C) Hindustan Petroleum
47) Which city became the first Indian city to be officially declared as one of the venues for hosting the 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup after it received a green signal from a high-level delegation comprising of experts from FIFA and Local Organising Committee (LOC)?
48) Name the fast attack craft which is commissioned on 19th October by Vice Admiral HCS Bisht of Indian Navy?
A) INS Chakra
B) INS Tihayu
C) INS Satpura
D) INS Tarkash
49) Union Government launched its ambitious plan to introduce budget regional flying by connecting small towns by flights whose fares will be capped at Rs 2,500 for a one-hour flight. What is the name of this scheme?
C) FIRST FLIGHT
D) DISCOVER INDIA
50) The Indian football team on 20 October 2016 achieved its best FIFA ranking in over six years. The team jumped 11 placed to be ......... in the latest list.
51) On which day the Police Commemoration Day is observed across India?
(It is observed in memory of 10 CRPF Personnel who were martyred on that day in 1959 at Hot Springs in Ladakh at the hands of Chinese Army.)
A) October 28
B) October 21
C) October 14
D) October 5
52) Media regulatory authority of which country has decided to enforce a complete ban on Indian TV and radio contents from 21 October 2016?
B) Sri Lanka
53) Who head the committee which has recently submitted its report to the Union Water Resources Ministry concluding that Saraswati River so far considered mythical, actually existed?
A) KS Valdiya
B) UC Banerjee
C) Janaki Ram
D) Ajay Vikram Singh
54) In which state Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has dedicated three hydro power stations - Kol Dam, Parvati Project and Rampur Hydro Station to the Nation?
A) Himachal Pradesh
B) Andhra Pradesh
55) What is the name of political party launched by human rights activist Irom Sharmila to contest Manipur assembly polls next year?
A) All India United Democratic Front
B) Hill State People's Democratic Party
C) Peoples Resurgence and Justice Alliance
D) United Democratic Party
56) Government of which state has decided to observe 2017 as the "Garib Kalyan Varsh"?
B) West Bengal
C) Madhya Pradesh
57) With which country India on 26 October 2016 signed a revised Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income?
B) South Korea
58) Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has allowed start-up companies recognised by the government to borrow up to ............... per financial year for a three year tenure through External Commercial Borrowings (ECBs).
A) $3 million
B) $1 million
C) $8 million
D) $12 million
59) Name the comic character who has been appointed United Nations' honorary ambassador in support of the UN's sustainable development goal number five: "to achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls"?
A) Wonder Women
D) Black Canary
60) Who has been appointed as head of the $100 billion (approximately Rs 6.6 lakh crore) Softbank Vision Fund project constituted by Japanese telecom and Internet major SoftBank Corp (SBG)?
A) Rajeev Misra
B) Sundar Pichai
C) Nikesh Arora
D) Ajaypal Singh Banga
61) Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) on 21 October 2016 unveiled the Official Mascot for the 2018 World Cup. What is the name of this mascot which means "the one who scores" in Russian?
(The mascot is the wolf developed by student designer Ekaterina Bocharova.)
D) Goleo VI Sidekick: Pille
62) Name the writer who became the first US author to be named winner of the 2016 Man Booker Prize for Fiction for his racial satire "The Sellout"?
A) Marlon James
B) Richard Flanagan
C) Deborah Levy
D) Paul Beatty
63) Name the legendary footballer of Brazil who passed away on 25 October 2016 at the age of 72?
(He was known for scoring one of the greatest goals in World Cup history in the 1970 final against Italy.)
C) Carlos Alberto Torres
64) Name the woman, the first woman in the world to conquer Mount Everest in 1975, who died recently at the age of 77?
A) Bachendri Pal
B) Junko Tabei
C) Arunima Sinha
D) Nishat Mazumder
65) Name the British Formula One driver who became only the third Formula One racer to win 50 races following former racers Michael Shumacher and Alain Prost?
A) Lewis Hamilton
B) Sebastian Vettel
C) Fernando Alonso
D) Jenson Button
66) According to the World Bank's latest 'Doing Business' report which country replaced Singapore to become the easiest country in the world to do business?
(Singapore, Denmark, Hong Kong and South Korea are placed in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th position respectively.)
C) New Zealand
67) Name the England Test captain who has become the first player to score 10,000 Test runs as opener?
(Earlier Indian cricketer Sunil Gavaskar held the record for most Test runs as opener with 9607 runs in 203 innings.)
A) Alastair Cook
B) Joe Root
C) Eoin Morgan
D) Jos Butler
68) Which country lost its bid for re-election to the United Nations' Human Rights Council by 2 votes?
(This marks the first time in history that one of the 5 permanent members of the UN Security Council has failed to secure a place in the Human Rights Council.)
B) United States
69) Against which country Bangladesh registered their first-ever Test win with a 108-run victory in the second Test held at Dhaka?
D) South Africa
70) Which country was defeated by India 38-29 in the final to win the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup?
(It was India's 3rd Kabaddi World Cup.)
71) According to a report by Credit Suisse which Indian telecom company has become the world's biggest telecom company in terms of data traffic?
(The company has reported the highest data traffic of 16,000 TB per day.)
A) Bharti Airtel
B) Idea Cellular
C) Vodafone Ltd
D) Reliance Jio
72) Which Indian airline created world record for longest non-stop flight by flying 15,300 km in 14.5 hours from Delhi to San Francisco?
A) AirAsia India
B) Air India
D) Jet Airways
73) Name the world's oldest aircraft carrier which was bid farewell by Indian Navy after it served India for 29 years?
A) INS Vikrant
B) INS Vikramaditya
C) INS Viraat
D) INS Shivalik
74) Name the chairman of Tata Sons who was removed from his post recenlty?
(Ratan Tata, 78, who quit in 2012 after more than 20 years in charge, will serve as interim chairman.)
A) Sachin Bansal
B) Anil Ambani
C) Sunil Bharti Mittal
D) Cyrus Pallonji Mistry
75) Bringing relief to lakhs of contractual government employees which Indian authority ruled that temporary workers are entitled to wages at par with permanent employees?
A) Lok Sabha
B) Comptroller and Auditor General of India
C) Delhi High Court
D) Supreme Court of India
76) After Sikkim which state was declared "Open Defecation Free" on 28.10.2016?
(The newly acquired status will entitle the state to receive World Bank funding under Rs 9,000 crore project to sustain sanitation campaign.)
A) Madhya Pradesh
B) Himachal Pradesh
D) Arunachal Pradesh
77) Indian Space Agency ISRO has announced recently that it is aiming for a world record by launching .......... satellites into the orbit on a single rocket in early 2017.
78) The Union Government has made the support for Indian languages mandatory in all mobile phones to be sold in the country from .................
(The new standard mandate mobile phone companies to provide message typing facility in English, Hindi and a regional language.)
A) January 2017
B) April 2017
C) July 2017
D) March 2017
79) Heena Sidhu who was recently in news for not participating in an Asian Championship belongs to which sports?
80) Against which country India won the 5-match ODI series 3-2 after winning the final ODI by 190 runs?
B) New Zealand
C) South Africa
D) Sri Lanka
81) Which country was defeated by India 3-2 in the hockey final held in Malaysia to win the Asian Champions Trophy?
(This is the second title win for India.)
A) South Korea