You are here: Home >> Current Affairs >> Current Affairs Quiz >> September 2016
1) International Literacy Day 2016 was celebrated across the world on?
A) 8th September
B) 14th September
C) 24th September
D) 28th September
2) The 2016 Summer Paralympic Games (15th edition) began at?
A) Athens, Greece
B) Berlin, Germany
C) Los Angeles, USA
D) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
3) In which country La Tomatina festival was celebrated recently?
(Over 1,50,000 kg of ripe tomatoes were used by around 20,000 people who participated in the hour-long festival.)
4) Name the former Vice-President of Brazil who sworn-in as the country's new President after the Senate voted to remove Dilma Rousseff from office?
A) Mauricio Macri
B) Nicolas Maduro
C) Horacio Cartes
D) Michel Temer
5) Name the Chinese company which became Asia's most valuable company at a valuation of $263 billion?
(This company is the owner of WeChat social networking platform.)
B) China Mobile
D) Noble Group
6) Which country registered the highest ever score of 263/3 in T20I history against Sri Lanka?
(The score surpassed the previous best score of 260/6 scored by Sri Lanka against Kenya in 2007.)
C) West Indies
D) South Africa
7) Name the General Motors Chairman and CEO who has retained her top position on Fortune magazine's 2016 list of Most Powerful Women?
(Pepsico CEO Indra Nooyi was ranked second on the list.)
A) Mary Barra
B) Marillyn Hewson
C) Ginni Rometty
D) Abigail Johnson
8) Name the American company which has agreed to buy Formula One racing for $4.4 billion in cash and convertible debt?
A) Force India
B) Liberty Media Corporation
D) British Racing Motors
9) At which place Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit 2016 was held recently?
A) Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
B) Naypyidaw, Myanmar
C) Vientiane, Laos
D) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
10) Which company on 31 August 2016 announced the acquisition of sports broadcasting business of Zee Entertainment for 385 million US dollar in an all-cash deal?
A) Star Sports
B) Sony Pictures Networks India
C) DD Sports
D) NEO Sports
11) Name the Chairperson and Managing Director of Biocon Limited, who was on 1 September 2016 appointed Chevalier de l'Ordre National de la Legion d'Honneur (Knight of the National Order of the French Legion of Honour)?
(Shaw was honoured for her contribution to biosciences and research.)
A) Nita Ambani
B) Kiran Mazumdar Shaw
C) Priya Nair
D) Deepika Arora
12) Who on 4 September 2016 became the fourth Indian to be proclaimed a saint in a ceremony at the Vatican?
A) Sister Alphonsa
B) Father Kuriakose Elias Chavara
C) Mother Euphrasia
D) Mother Teresa
13) Name India's lone individual Olympic gold medallist, who on 4 September 2016 officially announced his retirement from shooting?
A) Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
B) Gagan Narang
C) Abhinav Bindra
D) Jitu Rai
14) Name the advanced weather satellite which was successfully launched by Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) on 8 September 2016?
15) Name the 12-year old Indian boy who became the first Indian to win the Asian karting championship?
A) Shahan Ali Mohsin
B) Yash Aradhya
C) Rishi Malhotra
D) Varun Chopra
16) The Employees' State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) raised the monthly wage limit for coverage under its health insurance scheme from Rs 15,000 to .............
A) Rs 20,000
B) Rs 21,000
C) Rs 22,000
D) Rs 23,000
17) In which Indian language the United Nations Charter has been translated for the first time since coming into force in 1945?
18) Which world body recognised India as Yaws and Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus (MNT)-free nation?
A) World Medical Association
B) World Medical Center
C) World Medical Organisation
D) World Health Organisation
19) Which life insurance company has received the Securities and Exchange Board of India's (SEBI) approval to file its initial public offering (IPO), which will be the first life insurance sector IPO in India?
A) Life Insurance Corporation of India
B) Bajaj Allianz General Insurance
C) ICICI Prudential Life Insurance
D) Bharti AXA General Insurance
20) Name the application in which the Union Government launched integration of Driving Licenses (DL) & Vehicle Registration Certificates (RC)?
(According to this facility drivers would not be required to carry their driving licence and registration certificate but can store them in this application. The soft copy can then be verified by traffic police and law enforcement agencies when required.)
21) Which place was inaugurated as the 35th district of Assam by Assam's Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on 8 September 2016?
(Thus, it became India's first island district. On 1 September 2016, it replaced Brazil's Marajo to become the world's largest river island in the Guinness Book of World Records.)
A) Car Nicobar
22) According to a survey carried out by the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) which Indian state ranked last in the list on the condition of sanitation in rural areas?
C) West Bengal
23) According to a survey carried out by the National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) which Indian state has been adjudged the cleanest state in rural sanitation?
C) Arunachal Pradesh
24) Name the two-time Olympic-medallist wrestler who was nominated by Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) for the Padma Bhushan, India's third-highest civillian honour?
A) Narsingh Yadav
B) Sushil Kumar
C) Vijendra Singh
D) Sandeep Tomar
25) Who on 8 September 2016 gave assent to the Constitution 122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 as per Article 111 of Constitution of India?
(With this assent, the bill has become a law. Now, the union and the state governments will have to draft the Central GST, State GST and integrated GST laws for being passed in the winter session of the Parliament.)
A) Prime Minister of India
B) Supreme Court of India
C) Comptroller and Auditor General of India
D) President of India
26) Name the former Indian women's cricket team captain who in the first week of September 2016 became the first Indian woman cricketer to get the prestigious honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC)?
A) Poonam Raut
B) Sushma Verma
C) Mithali Raj
D) Anjum Chopra
27) The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 8 September 2016 cancelled the certificate of registration of five non-banking financial companies (NBFCs). The certificates were cancelled in exercise of the powers conferred on it under .............. of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934.
A) Section 44-IA (6)
B) Section 45-IA (6)
C) Section 46-IA (6)
D) Section 47-IA (6)
28) Which state bagged 'Best Horticulture State' award for the concerted efforts made by the state government to increase the income of the farmers in horticulture?
(The award was given on 9 September 2016 at two-day 9th Agricultural Leadership Summit 2016. The summit was organized by Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) in New Delhi.)
B) Uttar Pradesh
C) Madhya Pradesh
29) Which facility was recently launched by Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) for online redressal of taxpayers grievances related to refunds, ITRs and PAN among others?
30) Name the Germany tennis player who on 10 September 2016 defeated Karolina Pliskova by 6–3, 4–6, 6–4 to win 2016 US Open Women's Singles title?
A) Serena Williams
B) Simona Halep
C) Angelique Kerber
D) Roberta Vinci
31) Name the Swiss tennis player who on 11 September 2016 defeated world number one Novak Djokovic by 6-7, 6-4, 7-5, 6-3 to win 2016 US Open Men's Singles title?
A) Gael Monfils
B) Rafael Nadal
C) Andy Murray
D) Stan Wawrinka
32) Who won the Durand Cup football title (Asia's oldest football tournament) on 11 September 2016 by defeating Neroca FC 6-5 via penalty shoot outs in the final held at New Delhi?
A) DSK Shivajians
B) Army Green
C) Sporting Goa
33) Which authority on 12 September 2016 approved the process, formation and functioning of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council?
(The council will consist of Union Finance Minister and State Finance Ministers. It will make recommendations on issues related to Goods and Services Tax (GST).)
A) The Supreme Court of India
B) The Rajya Sabha
C) The Lok Sabha
D) Union Cabinet
34) Name the Indian athlete who on 12 September 2016 became the first Indian woman to bag a medal at the Rio Paralympics?
(She clinched a silver medal in the shotput F-53 event.)
A) Shakshi Malik
B) Deepa Malik
C) Poonam Chopra
D) Deepika Pallikal
35) Name the Javelin thrower who became the first Indian to clinch two gold medals at the Paralympics?
A) Girisha Nagarajegowda
B) Mariyappan Thangavelu
C) Devendra Jhajharia
D) Rajinder Singh Rahelu
36) National Hindi Divas (Hindi Day) was observed across India on?
(On this day in the year 1949, Hindi was adopted as the Official Language of the Union of India.)
A) 10 September
B) 5 September
C) 23 September
D) 14 September
37) Duleep Trophy is related to which sports?
(This tournament concluded on 14 September 2016.)
38) With which telecom operator company Reliance Communications has announced its merger which will create India's fourth-largest mobile company in terms of customers and revenue?
A) Idea Cellular
D) Reliance Jio
39) Which award was conferred on cricketers Rohit Sharma and Ajinkya Rahane on 16 September 2016 by Sports Minister Vijay Goel?
(Rohit Sharma was given the award for 2015 and Ajinkya Rahane for 2016.)
A) Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
B) Arjuna Award
C) Dronacharya Award
D) Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar
40) Which state was ordered by the Supreme Court of India to release 6,000 cusecs of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu daily between 21 and 27 September?
A) Andhra Pradesh
D) Madhya Pradesh
41) The Union Government cleared the deal to buy 36 Rafale fighter jets at a cost of Rs 58,000 crore (approx.). From which country India is buying these fighter jets?
42) Who won Gold for India in Men's High Jump event at 2016 Paralympic Games?
A) Devendra Jhajharia
B) Thangavelu Mariyappan
C) Varun Singh Bhati
D) Deepa Malik
43) Who won Gold for India in Men's Javelin Throw event at 2016 Paralympic Games?
A) Deepa Malik
B) Varun Singh Bhati
C) Thangavelu Mariyappan
D) Devendra Jhajharia
44) Who won Bronze for India in Men's High Jump event at 2016 Paralympic Games?
A) Varun Singh Bhati
B) Deepa Malik
C) Thangavelu Mariyappan
D) Devendra Jhajharia
45) How many medals India won at the recently concluded 2016 Paralympic Games held at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?
46) Name the current President of World Bank who has been re-appointed as its head for a second five-year term which begins on July 1, 2017?
A) Ban Ki-moon
B) Jim Yong Kim
C) Christine Lagarde
D) Takehiko Nakao
47) Name the female tennis star who now holds the all-time record for most number of victories in Grand Slam matches in tennis history?
(She surpassed Roger Federer's 307 win record earlier this month in the US Open.)
A) Angelique Kerber
B) Venus Williams
C) Maria Sharapova
D) Serena Williams
48) Name the Syrian civil defence group who won the Right Livelihood Award, also referred to as the 'Alternative Nobel' for their outstanding bravery and humanitarian engagement?
A) Green Helmets
B) Black Helmets
C) White Helmets
D) Red Helmets
49) According to the latest annual survey conducted by Labour Bureau which state has the highest unemployment rate at 19.7% in 2015-16?
A) Arunachal Pradesh
50) Which country was defeated by Indian hockey team by 3-1 in the Under-18 Asia Cup semi-final?
(India will face host nation Bangladesh in the final.)
A) Sri Lanka
C) South Korea
51) In which company the Union Government has decided to sell its 7% stake at a floor price of Rs 62 per share to raise capital of around of Rs 402 crore to fix its deficit?
A) Hindustan Copper
B) Bharat Electronics
C) Neyveli Lignite Corporation
D) Goa Shipyard
52) Name the world oldest aircraft carrier which will be decommissioned later this year after serving the Indian Navy for 29 years?
(It played major role in Operation Parakram and Operation Vijay.)
A) INS Viraat
B) INS Vikramaditya
C) INS Shivalik
D) INS Vikrant
53) Name the project, an IT-based platform for the rollout of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime, which was approved for Rs 2,256 crore by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs recently?
A) Project GST
B) Project SAKSHAM
C) Project PRABAL
D) Project EK-KAR
54) Due to increasing cross-border terrorist attacks in India, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has decided not to take part in SAARC Summit. In which country SAARC Summit was scheduled to be held from November 9-10?
A) Sri Lanka
55) The Union Government has approved to change the name of Gurgaon city and Gurgaon district of Haryana to ...............?
56) India which accounts for 4.1% of the global emissions will ratify the Paris Climate Change agreement on ..................?
A) December 25, 2016
B) January 1, 2017
C) October 2, 2016
D) December 31, 2016
57) Which country was defeated by 197 runs by Indian cricket team in the first Test of the 3-match Test series while playing their 500th Test match?
A) New Zealand
B) West Indies
D) Sri Lanka
58) The GST Council, headed by finance minister Arun Jaitley, decided to fix the exemption limit for the indirect tax at Rs......... for Northeastern states and smaller states and Rs......... for other states along with decision to subsume all cesses into GST.
(A trader whose annual turnover is less than the exemption limit would not be covered under the indirect tax regime.)
A) Rs 10 lakh, Rs 20 lakh
B) Rs 20 lakh, Rs 30 lakh
C) Rs 30 lakh, Rs 40 lakh
D) Rs 40 lakh, Rs 50 lakh
59) Who recently decided to do away with the distinction between the Union Budget's plan and non-plan expenditure?
(Non-plan expenditure includes salaries, subsidies and loans while plan expenditure is meant for government schemes and projects.)
A) Reserve Bank of India
B) Supreme Court of India
C) Comptroller & Auditor General of India
D) Union Cabinet
60) What is the name of latest mobile chat application launched by Google?
C) Hello Chat
D) Google Chat
61) World Maritime Day was observed across the world on?
(Theme for World Maritime Day 2016 is shipping: indispensable to the world.)
A) 20 September 2016
B) 29 September 2016
C) 23 September 2016
D) 25 September 2016
62) World Tourism Day 2016 was observed across the world on?
(The theme of the World Tourism Day 2016 is Tourism for All - promoting universal accessibility.)
A) 27 September 2016
B) 17 September 2016
C) 21 September 2016
D) 30 September 2016
63) Japan's Aichi prefecture and its capital city Nagoya will co-host the ........ Asian Games?
64) Name the Indian Off-spinner who has become the fastest Indian and the second fastest overall to take 200 test wickets (in 36 matches) in Test Cricket?
A) Murali Karthik
B) Ravichandran Ashwin
C) Harbhajan Singh
D) Ravindra Jadeja
65) President Pranab Mukherjee on 17 September 2016 appointed ..............., a member of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) as its Chairman.
(She will succeed Deepak Gupta.)
A) Alka Sirohi
B) Rajni Razdan
C) D P Agarwal
D) Subir Dutta
66) In which game Indian women's team on 28 September 2016 bagged gold medal by defeating Thailand 41-31 in the final at the 5th Asian Beach Games?
67) Name the noted Telugu writer who was on 29 September 2016 conferred with Moortidevi Award of Bharatiya Jnanpith for the year 2015 at function in New Delhi?
(The award was given for his novel Ananta Jeevanam.)
A) Vishwanath Tripathi
B) C. Radhakrishnan
C) Kalakaluri Enoch
D) Haraprasad Das
68) Name the Indian cricketer who was appointed brand ambassador of Punjab National Bank?
A) Virat Kohli
B) M S Dhoni
C) Rohit Sharma
D) R Ashwin
69) Name the veteran music director and violinist who was on 27 September 2016 named for the 2016 Lata Mangeshkar Award for Lifetime Achievement of the Maharashtra Government?
A) Krishna Kalle
B) Anandji Shah
C) Uttam Singh
D) Yashwant Deo
70) Name the Indian revolutionary socialist and freedom fighter whose 109th birth anniversary was observed across India on 28 September 2016?
A) Khudiram Bose
B) Prafulla Chaki
C) Kartar Singh Sarabha
D) Shaheed Bhagat Singh
71) At which place Indian Army conducted surgical strikes on terror launch pads on 29 September 2016?
72) High Court of which State on 30 September 2016 quashed the State government notification completely banning liquor in the state?
(The court said that the notification is ultra vires to the Constitution.)
73) The Union Government on 30 September 2016 decided to raise the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) investment in Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) from existing 5 per cent to ...........
A) 8 per cent
B) 10 per cent
C) 12 per cent
D) 15 per cent
74) In which state world's largest solar power plant of 648 megawatts was installed by Adani Green Energy Ltd. with an investment of around 4550 crore rupees?
B) Tamil Nadu
D) West Bengal