|Appointment and Tenure:|
|1. The Attorney General of India is appointed by the President and holds
office during the pleasure of the President.|
2. He must have the same qualifications for appointment as required to be a Judge of the Supreme Court.
3. The Attorney General of India is the highest legal offcer of the Union Government.
|Powers, privileges and functions:|
|The Attorney General of India is the first law officer
of the Government of India and has the following powers, privileges and functions-|
1. It is the duty of the Attorney General to give advice to the Government of India upon legal matters and to perform such other duties of legal character, as may, from time to time be referred or assigned to him by the President.
2. Attorney General should discharge the functions conferred on him by or under the Constitution or any other law for the time being in force.
3. In the performance of his duties he has the right of audience in all Courts in the territory of India.
4. The Attorney General can take part in the proceedings of the Parliament and its committees but he is not entitled to vote.
5. The Attorney General is assisted by two Solicitors-General and four Additional Solicitors-General.
|Name of Attorney General||Term||Incumbent Prime Minister|
|M. C. Setalvad||28.01.1950 - 01.03.1963||Jawaharlal Nehru|
|C.K.Daphtary||02.03.1963 - 30.10.1968||Jawaharlal Nehru; Lal Bahadur Shastri|
|Niren De||01.11.1968 - 31.03.1977||Indira Gandhi|
|S.V. Gupte||01.04.1977 - 08.08.1979||Morarji Desai|
|L.N. Sinha||09.08.1979 - 08.08.1983||Indira Gandhi|
|K. Parasaran||09.08.1983 - 08.12.1989||Indira Gandhi; Rajiv Gandhi|
|Soli Sorabjee||09.12.1989 - 02.12.1990||V. P. Singh; Chandra Shekhar|
|G. Ramaswamy||03.12.1990 - 23.11.1992||Chandra Shekhar; P. V. Narasimha Rao|
|Milon K. Banerji||21.11.1992 - 08.07.1996||P. V. Narasimha Rao|
|Ashok Desai||09.07.1996 - 06.04.1998||H. D. Devegowda; Inder Kumar Gujral|
|Soli Sorabjee||07.04.1998 - 04.06.2004||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Milon K. Banerji||05.06.2004 - 07.06.2009||Manmohan Singh|
|Goolam Essaji Vahanvati||08.06.2009 to 11.06.2014||Manmohan Singh|
|Mukul Rohatgi||12.06.2014 to 18 June 2017||Narendra Modi|
|K K Venugopal||1 July 2017 to till date||Narendra Modi|